About Kamili Yoga®
Kamili Yoga® is a modern Africentric system for Black wholistic wellness. From the African Swahili word for “complete” and the Indian Sanskrit word for “union,” Kamili Yoga® teaches Black practitioners to seek and center inner enlightenment through the lens of their African ancestry. It is a contemporary system rooted in the exploration of traditional Pan-African yogic knowledge and concepts, from the African ancestral practices of the Motherland to the customs of Black descendants all around the world.
Developed by Eternity Philops, Kamili Yoga® is born of a Spirit-led calling to create more African-centered options for Black yogis. This system addresses the need for more culturally diverse Yoga systems, more Yoga systems that de-center Whiteness, and more Yoga systems that celebrate the beautiful depths of Black and African being.
Founder & Lead Teacher
Eternity Philops (she/they/Mx.) is a bodaciously Black and unapologetically queer conscious being who educates and serves Black, POC, and Queer/Trans populations in soulful liberation through Yoga wellness. The owner of Soul Liberation Wellness based in Charlotte, NC, USA, Eternity has taught hundreds of students through community classes, university courses, private sessions, and retreats with passionate dedication.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
Bachelor’s of Arts, Psychology & Sociology
Graduate Certificate, Women & Gender Studies
Cornell Women’s Entrepreneurship Certificate
Certified Life Coach
Certified Hatha Yoga Teacher
Certified Kemetic Yoga Teacher
Certified Yoga for 12-Step Recovery Leader
Yoga Alliance E-RYT & Continuing Education Provider
The Core Tenets
Kamili Yoga®, like all true systems of Yoga, is about creating union. Specifically, we work toward union with Self through personal principles, union with others through social principles, and union with Spirit through spiritual principles. These three sets of principles are collectively called the KANUNI TATU, a Kiswahili translation for "three principles." They make up the first tenet of Kamili Yoga®.
The soulful mindfulness practice of Kamili Yoga® is IBADA KAMILI, which is Kiswahili for “the complete ritual.” The second tenet of Kamili Yoga®, this ritual is a structured meditative practice of five components that brings us into deeper connection with Spirit, ancestors, and our own inner divinity. Another translation is “perfect worship,” which speaks to the essence of this ritual practice.
The third tenet of Kamili Yoga® is ELIMU NA HEKIMA, meaning “education and wisdom.” This tenet is about researching rich and diverse Pan-African cultures, both indigenous and post-colonial. Part of the historical struggle of the African continent and diaspora is having our traditions destroyed by colonizers and by slaveholders. In present day we must prioritize re-learning lost knowledge, and reclaim our personal and collective power through the intentional study of our Black legacies and African heritages.
Come for the higher knowledge.
Stay for the wholistic healing.
The Kamili Yoga Collective is exclusively for Black yogis to learn Kamili Yoga® and transform their lives through Pan-African yogic knowledge and wellness. This is an ongoing, community-centered education platform that emphasizes inner growth and healing through collective care.
Part coaching program and part support group, this interactive network teaches through the lens of African knowledge and Black wellbeing. It is a sacred safe(r) space for dedicated learners who are courageously committed to their soul-centered growth.
THE IDEAL STUDENT
The Kamili Yoga Collective is for the conscious Black yogi who . . .
- Wants to learn and practice Yoga through a decolonized Pan-African lens
- Feels drawn to explore the cultural roots of their African ancestry and identity
- Strives to live a principled life in relationship with Self, with others, and with Spirit
- Believes in the cultural significance and wholistic healing power of rituals
- Is dedicated to the daily, diligent, and diverse pursuit of Black education and wisdom
- Takes the initiative to further their knowledge by prioritizing time for study
- Is an enthusiastic, interactive student who values conversation and connection
- Honors their commitment to collective care and support by attending community offerings when able
- Upholds safe(r) space for others through being inclusive and caring toward all bodies, faiths, genders, sexualities, cultural heritages, and other intersectional identities
- Feels led by Spirit, ancestors, and/or guides that The Kamili Collective is meant for them!
Student Membership Options
Great For Students Who Study Best At Their Own Pace.
Membership Benefits Include . . .
Learn the full system of Kamili Yoga® and how to make it a part of your everyday yogic lifestyle
Weekly guidance posts, prompts, and quizzes to encourage dedication to yoga studies and engagement with fellow members
Self-paced mini courses on Black knowledge and wholistic wellness, with learning material added regularly for an ever-growing lesson library
Resource rooms of curated articles about global Black news, wholistic healthy living, Pan-African research, and more
Community Study Hall: 24/7 accessible Zoom room for study groups, Q&As, and co-working sessions in fellowship with other students
Limited access to select replays of live events for individual study and review
Mobile Android and iOS apps to stay connected to content through easy and convenient access
Best For Students Who Prefer Interactive Live Teachings.
Includes Independent Student Benefits, PLUS . . .
Exclusive cohort group to expand your network with other like-minded Black yogis and wellness professionals
Powerful inner healing through intimate connection, emotional openness, and the transparent sharing of lived experiences during cohort-only live sessions
Business Brainstorming resource room for wellness professionals to collaborate on professional strategies and brand development
Cohort Classroom: Live group practice of Ibada Kamili, the complete ritual, followed by a guided therapeutic discussion on Kamili Yoga® system principles and concepts.
Wellness Workshops: Interactive teachings exploring various topics of wholistic wellness practices, transformative Self development, and soulful creative expression
Full access to all replays of recorded live events for individual study and review
Ideal For Students Dedicated To Teaching Kamili Yoga®
Includes ALL Membership Benefits, PLUS . . .
Private 1:1 space for virtual mentorship and accountability check-ins
Apprentice Coaching Group: Collaboration and support on effective teaching strategies, methods for engaging community, and being a powerful example of yogic living to clients and students
Yoga teacher training program to become an initiated Kamili Yoga® Community Leader and formally guide your local and virtual communities in the lineage of the system
Program Length: 9-to-12 Months | Multiple Requirements
- Active student participant for a minimum of three months
- Consistent involvement in live events (via attendance or replays)
- Detailed memorization of the complete Kamili Yoga® system
- Lifestyle application of all system tenets, principles, and concepts
- Inner mastery of the Ibada Kamili system practice
- Proper pronunciation of all Kiswahili system terms
- Written essays and 1:1 virtual interview for training approval
- Accept and sign training agreement and teaching contract
- Enrollment as an Apprentice Student if not already at this membership level
- Academic level of reading, writing and research on various subjects of Pan-African cultures and historical background of yoga
- Excellent time management to study independently, follow the monthly modules, and turn in assignments by the set deadlines
- Openness to unfamiliar knowledge that may challenge, question, and expand previously held beliefs, mindsets, and perspectives
- High critical thinking skills to analyze new information and implement useful concepts into daily living and teaching
- Willingness to therapeutically confront, unpack, and process discomforts as part of toxicity deprogramming and shadow work
- Hands-on apprentice practicums involving reflective journaling, research papers, recording lectures, and live community teachings
- Commitment to lifelong inner growth and community engagement in order to authentically teach Kamili Yoga®
- Maintain an active Apprentice Student membership to remain in good community standing and receive continued mentorship
- Routinely lead live Kamili Yoga® classes in your communities, in-person or virtual, to pass on the lineage of the system
Contribute a new live teaching or recorded lesson to the Kamili Yoga Collective at least twice a year
- Continue to exhibit the principles of Kamili Yoga® and high ethics of a community leader in both personal and professional living
What's NOT Included In Membership . . .
Ads: There are no pop-up or sponsored ads interrupting your experience or trying to sell you stuff you don't need.
Algorithms: Posts aren't hidden or purposely given low visibility, and your activity isn't sold to random third parties.
Spam: There is a dedicated space for professionals to share their services and offerings. Outside of that space, promotions are not allowed so that members can focus on education and community.
Hate: We do not tolerate trans-hate, queerphobia, fatphobia, body shaming, colorism, sexism, gender bias, TERFness, "fauxteps", religious bigotry, cultural prejudice, harassment, inappropriate messages, or any other form of oppression.
"Since becoming a part of the Kamili Yoga Collective, I'm learning the differences more and more every time we meet. So far, nothing but positive & enlightening experiences. Much different from what I've experienced being in other 'mainstream' yoga classes."
- Linda P.B., South Carolina, USA
"Through the Kamili Yoga Collective, I have been able to dive deeper into my own yoga and movement practice, while also learning more about Pan-African history and principles. In a time of chaos throughout the world, the Kamili Yoga Collective has provided me with community, and a continued sense of grounded."
- Naadiya H., Maryland, USA
"I am so fortunate to be a part of the Kamili Yoga Collective. I have grown so much and it has helped me with my self awareness."
- Edna L., New York, USA
Frequently Asked Questions
I'm new to Yoga. Can I join?
Yes! This is a space for Black yogis of all experience levels, which includes even NO experience. As a community centered around Yoga wellness education, this is the perfect place to begin your Yoga journey!
Is the teacher training course registered with Yoga Alliance?
The Kamili Yoga® teaching program does not follow the status quo of mainstream studios and cookie-cutter YTT programs. It is an academic-style curriculum that requires students to do deep therapeutic inner work in preparation for community leadership in Black communal spaces like cultural centers, churches, and even in homes. Therefore it is not associated with Yoga Alliance or any other teacher registry.
Can I join The Kamili Yoga Collective if I am not Black?
No. Non-Black yogis and allies who wish to learn the Kamili Yoga® system are encouraged to subscribe to the Kamili Yoga® video app by clicking HERE.
Why not? Isn't that racist?
It is not racist to have Black-centered spaces; it is racism that makes Black-centered spaces necessary.
The Kamili Yoga Collective is a safe(r) space that exclusively serves those of Black identity and of Pan-African cultural communities. It is a space to honor the specific experiences that Black people around the world have in societies riddled with anti-Blackness and oppressive systems of institutionalized racism. It is a space for both learning AND healing, and that healing would be undermined by the presence of non-Black folks.
If you are offended by this being a Black-centered healing space, you are encouraged to investigate the true source of that angst and work on putting that energy toward creating a world where spaces such as these are no longer necessary.
I have other questions. Can I contact you?
Yes. Send additional questions via email by clicking HERE!
I'm ready to join! How do I sign up?
Awesome! Below are the membership options to get started. If your preferred membership option is not listed, it may be closed at this time. There is also an initiative to give away 100 Independent Student scholarships to 100 Black yogis. If you are interested in applying, click HERE!
It will be an honor to guide you!